Toxic Release Inventory (TRI) reporting - Training offered by Chemical Distributors, Incorporated

The database is available from the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and contains information reported annually by some industry groups as well as federal facilities. Each year, companies across a wide range of industries (including chemical, mining, paper, and oil and gas industries) that produce more than 25,000 pounds or handle more than 10,000 pounds of a listed toxic chemical must report it to the TRI. A few points to help you determine which form you are required to use:

  • You must answer many different types of questions from production figures to release figures for different release pathways. It's longer, more comprehensive, and time-consuming.
  • Form R must be used no matter what if the toxic chemical you're reporting on is a PBT chemical. For example, the lead found in cement used in concrete plants means that both precast and ready mix concrete plants need to use Form R. If you're not reporting on lead or other PBT chemicals, you don't need to use Form R. However, if you're a concrete plant and you're not reporting lead in your cement, chances are good you're doing TRI Reporting wrong!
  • If you manufactured, processed or otherwise used the toxic chemical in excess of 1,000,000 pounds, you must use Form R. One million pounds might seem like a lot but say you operate a chemical manufacturing facility; you might hit 1,000,000 pounds in no time. (Side note: It's important to keep track of usage numbers to ensure you are using the correct form!)
  • Form R must be used if the total annual reportable amount of the toxic chemical exceeds 500 pounds. This includes releases, recycling, energy recovery, and chemical treatment. If all of that equals 500 pounds or more, you must use Form R.

Form A is more simplistic. You must answer only a few questions and it can be completed in a fraction of the time compared to Form R.

Form A can be used in place of Form R if each of the following criteria is met:

  • The toxic chemical is not a PBT chemical. Remember, PBT chemicals automatically mean you need to use Form R!
  • If the toxic chemical was not manufactured, processed, or otherwise used in excess of 1,000,000 pounds.
  • And if the total annual reportable amount of the toxic chemical did not exceed 500 pounds. This includes releases, recycling, energy recovery, and chemical treatment.

This report is due by July 1 for the previous calendar year.

Determining if your facility is subject to environmental reporting is the first step in the process. Call us today for assistance.

The EH&S division of Chemical Distributors, Incorporated started with an internal need for training and compliance and has expanded with the following offering for all of our customers.

Please inquire about a program to match your specific needs.

All training materials will be provided

Give us a call, we've got you covered.


About our trainer:

Cindy Shelton is a certified Associate Safety Professional through the Board of Certified Safety Professionals, as well as a Registered Environmental Professional through the National Registry of Environmental Professionals. She is also an authorized trainer for OSHA 10 and 30 hour Training in General Industry. In addition, she holds a Masterís degree from Columbia Southern University in Occupational Safety and Health with a concentration in Environmental Management.